In yet another example of Republicans having gone through the looking glass, the GOP has decided to respond to President Obama’s dead-on allegations about Mitt Romney and his time at Bain Capital by mounting a campaign that not just misinformation but an outright pack of lies. They’ve launched an aggressive effort to minimize some of the damage the Obama campaign is doing to Mitt Romney by calling him an “outsourcing pioneer” (which is an accurate assessment) by attempting to cast the president as the “outsourcer in chief”. It’s a classic case of projection. Hey, our candidate is an asshole. So let’s try to paint the other guy as just as much of an asshole.
The belated counter-attack comes weeks after the Obama campaign began running ads examining how Romney’s former company Bain Capital invested in firms that provided outsourcing services like call centers. The Republican response was to make a bunch of stuff up.
The Republican National Committee on Tuesday unveiled a new website that outlines in fine detail how federal dollars under the Obama administration supposedly funded foreign projects.
RNC Chairman Reince Priebus told Fox News that Republicans are “getting aggressive” with this message.
“We’re going to talk about Barack Obama’s record,” he said.
The new website, Obamanomics Outsourced, includes a map with pop-up details about the administration’s supposed foreign-tied investments. It also includes a breakdown of myriad projects funded by U.S. taxpayer dollars, which the RNC says amounts to outsourcing.
“Over his four years in office, Obama promised that he would focus on creating ‘jobs that pay well and can’t be outsourced,'” the site says. “However, as he racked up trillions in new debt, billions of dollars did go to create jobs that were outsourced or spent overseas. Whether it is electric cars made in Finland or solar panels in Mexico, taxpayers would be astonished to learn that their hard-earned money went abroad for jobs that weren’t created in the United States.”
Unfortunately, it’s all typical GOP lies and misdirection. The RNC points to money that went to Fisker Automotive, which is producing a luxury electric sports car in Finland. But FactCheck.org points out that while the firm got a $169 million federal loan guarantee, the loan money itself was spent in the U.S.
In Mexico, the new site notes solar firm SunPower is having some solar panels for its stimulus-backed solar facility manufactured at a plant in Mexico. But according to FactCheck.org that company will be getting most of its solar panels from a California plant.
Again and again the examples the Republicans use to portray President Obama as “outsourcer in chief” actually turn out to have benefited Americans and created American jobs. The GOP is just hoping that no one looks past their initial rhetoric and actually looks at the facts of the matter. Given that their first choice for getting this “information” out to the public was to visit with Fox News, they’ll probably be largely successful with the bulk of the misinformed Conservative block of voters these fabrications are aimed at.
Here’s some inconvenient facts, though.
White House adviser David Plouffe told ABC News on Tuesday that Obama is focused on “insourcing” jobs and getting rid of tax cuts that reward companies that ship jobs overseas. He accused Romney of wanting to do the opposite. Romney’s record as founder of Bain Capital and governor of Massachusetts bears this out.
- As CEO of Bain Capital, Mitt Romney advised companies that were “pioneers” in outsourcing jobs overseas.
- Governor Romney vetoed a bill that would have banned state contractors from outsourcing state work overseas. [Boston Globe, 6/26/04]
- Under Romney, Massachusetts outsourced jobs in child support enforcement, food stamps, and unemployment insurance overseas. [GAO report, “Offshoring In Six Human Services Programs,” 3/2006]
- “When Romney was governor of Massachusetts, his administration signed a $160,000-per-month contract with Citigroup to operate an electronic food stamp system that included a consumer call center in India” [Boston Globe, Political Intelligence, 5/1/12]
- The Massachusetts Human Resources Division confirmed that under Romney the state outsourced approximately $1 million in Medicaid data entry work to a firm in India for several years.
- Romney now says that as president, he would eliminate taxes on the foreign profits of U.S. firms. He hasn’t called for the elimination of a single corporate loophole, not even tax breaks for moving operations overseas.
The unfortunate truth is that a lot of misinformed Americans will believe these latest Republicans lies, if for no other reason than that the support the twisted view these people already have of President Obama. In the end, that’s really all the GOP wants, to energize those people and make sure they go out and vote. Yeah, sure. They’re peddling a pack of lies. But can Conservative, God-fearing, flag waving Amurcans really afford to take the chance while a Librul is in the White House and there’s a Benedict Arnold (the GOP is looking at you, John Roberts) on the Supreme Court?
“Trust us,” the GOP is saying. “Would we lie to you (again)?”Tweet #Wicasta